11 Dad Shoes for Father’s Day 2022
By Anton Karve
Father’s Day 2022 on 19 June is in a bit less than two and a half weeks, and many are scrambling to find a special gift for their father (or father figure). Well, scramble no longer, for we’ve collated a list of 11 sneaker silhouettes perfect for every shape, size and type of dad. We’ve taken the liberty to link a selection of each sneaker, so if you find something that works, simply click to buy it online! Otherwise, continue your search on our app or online store. For more about how to use the SNKRDUNK app, click here.
11. For the “has-everything-not-sure-what-to-get-him” dad
10. For the dad that wears his sneakers until they fall apart
9. For the dad that can’t let go of the “good old days”
8. For the dad that insists Fleetwood Mac is indie
7. For the dad that wears the shoes his kids want
6. For the dad that wore socks and sandals before they were cool
5. For the dad that is trendy without knowing the trends
4. For the dad that loves Sonic the Hedgehog but hates the latest movie
3. For the dad inspired to run by Forrest Gump
2. For the dad that thinks he’s cooler than the rest
1. For the dad that actually is cooler than the rest
11. For the “has-everything-not-sure-what-to-get-him” dad:
Nike Air Monarch IV
A safe choice for all, though best for dads that are Nike fanboys at heart, but look like they should be wearing chunky New Balances. It’s a fashionable silhouette that comes in a decent variety of colours, but meets dad comfort and utility standards.
10. For the dad that wears his sneakers until they fall apart:
Nike Air Force 1
A classic, uncontroversial option. When it was first released it exploded in popularity among the youth, but 40 years later it is loved by all ages. This silhouette pairs well with any outfit and somehow manages to age like a fine wine no matter how scuffed and dirty they get.
9. For the dad that can’t let go of the “good old days”:
Nike Dunk High Retro
Is it staying true to your roots, or is it refusing to let go? You can’t tell, and your dad doesn’t care. For the dad that hooped back in the day and could talk for hours about his glory days in school, the Retro silhouette and university colours might spark some happy memories of simpler times.
8. For the dad that insists Fleetwood Mac is indie:
This fits perfectly into the shoe rack of a house with conspicuously placed modern art, vinyl or cult classic DVD collections. The Raf Simons-designed Ozweego pairs with somebody who has a sense of class, and thinks he’s artsy. He doesn’t actually need to be artsy, he just needs to believe that he is.
7. For the dad that wears the shoes his kids want:
adidas Yeezy Boost 700 / 700 V2
This silhouette’s for the dad that smugly looks his children in the eyes and says, “now, when you start earning your own money, you can buy your own stuff”. The obvious clap-back is to grow up and buy him stuff with your money, and Yeezys are the perfect contender to make the irony sting.
6. For the dad that wore socks and sandals before they were cool:
adidas Yeezy Slide
He’s a couch potato and wants nothing more but to sit back and watch some TV, but he’s got chores to do. He scrimped on fashion in favour of convenience and comfort, but who says he can’t have both? If this situation rings a bell, these slides are your best bet.
5. For the dad that is trendy without knowing the trends:
New Balance 990V3
Everybody’s rushing to get themselves some New Balances right now. Therefore, it’s only right that the New Balance dad who doesn’t keep up with any of the trends gets a new pair for himself. While New Balance’s innovative Aime Deon Lore or Salehe Bembury collaborations would throw him off, a simple yet fashionable 990V3 would fit right into his comfort zone.
4. For the dad that loves Sonic the Hedgehog but hates the latest movie:
Puma Wild Rider
To teach your dad that new doesn’t mean bad, get him the newest iteration of the Puma Rider series. It’s progressive and edgy, but contains design callbacks to its ancestor, the Puma Fast Rider. The Red/Blue/White combinations are playful but timeless, and the bulky shoe provides all the comfort he could ever need.
3. For the dad inspired to run by Forrest Gump:
ASICS GEL-Lyte III
If you regularly find yourself telling dad to “please go shower” after his sweaty morning run, the GEL-Lyte III’s perfect. It’s an especially good choice if he has, or has considered joining a city marathon. Now he can be stylish and sweaty.
2. For the dad that thinks he’s cooler than the rest:
Crocs are the most non-controversial, controversial shoe. Their top-tier functionality and customisability are undeniable. What other shoe provides the option between a casual and sport mode? (Also known as “4WD” mode, if you’re weird) Despite this, you still might get side-eyed on the street if you’re caught with these on. Whether he’s wearing classic Clogs or designer collaborations like the Beams All Terrain or Salehe Bembury Pollex Clog, with these bad boys on he’ll be reminding people, “my eyes are up here.”
1. For the dad that actually is cooler than the rest:
Ghostbusters x Reebok Ghost Smasher
To give your dad an overwhelming sense of superiority at every halloween or costume party, there’s no other option. Turning up in these gives off a similar vibe to pulling up in a DMC DeLorean. Call it corny all you want, but you can’t deny that it’s cool as hell.